Signs That You Have an Uncontrolled Relationship with Food
We all know that an unhealthy relationship leaves you feeling unfulfilled and dissatisfied. No matter how hard you try to make it work, there is no way to get past the fact that the relationship is sapping your emotional health. The relationship you have with food can be detrimental to your health and weight loss when it is an unhealthy one.
1. You Think About Food All The Time: When you have access to food when you are hungry, there is no reason for thoughts of food to consume your mind and interfere with your life. Constant thoughts about food are a sign that you may be denying yourself nutrients your body needs.
2. You Prefer to Eat in Private: If you can’t handle eating with people without feeling self-conscious, or obsessing over what your options may be at a restaurant or party, chances are your food relationship isn’t healthy.
3. Suffer from Food Guilt: There is no reason you should spend hours beating yourself up for having a second slice of cake or eating an extra breadstick. If you are spending more time mentally beating yourself up for eating something than you spent enjoying it, you are suffering from food guilt.
4. You Deny Yourself the Foods You Crave: A healthy relationship with foods means that you know what you want as well as what you need in your diet. It also means that you accommodate both your wants and your needs. Often cravings are our body’s way of telling us we are lacking something in our diets.
5. You Cut Out Entire Food Groups: Healthy eating is all about balance. Rigid perfectionism in your diet is a precursor for disordered eating and a definite warning sign to an unhealthy relationship with food.
6. You Eat The Same Foods All The Time: Trying new foods isn't something that that should cause you anxiety unless you have a severe food allergy causing the anxiety. If the idea of trying a new food causes fears and anxiety to surface, you could have bigger problems to deal with.
7. Your Emotions Control Your Eating Habits: If you eat to procrastinate, to entertain yourself, to reward yourself, or to console yourself, you are allowing your emotions to control your eating habits. This means that you aren’t listening to your body about what its needs are.
8. You Are Controlled by Food Rules: There are no hard and fast rules that you need to follow in order to lose, maintain, or gain weight. If your mind is more concerned with following unnecessary rules when it comes to food instead of listening to your body, chances are, you need to evaluate your relationship with food.
9. You Punish Yourself for Breaking Your Food Rules: Choosing to eat a salad for lunch because you know you are going out for pizza for dinner is called balance. Going on a week-long juice cleanse because you ate three slices instead of two is a sign that you need to evaluate your relationship with food.
10. You Have No Self-Control When It Comes to Food: A couple signs that you have no self-control when it comes to food are when you can’t have certain foods in the house without eating them, or you find yourself eating a full bag of chips without realizing it until afterward. A lack of self-control regarding food is a definite sign you need some help with your relationship relating to food.
If you have identified that your relationship with food is unhealthy, you might be wondering what the next steps are. If you find that your negative relationship with food is affecting your quality of life, then it might be time to consider talking to a therapist or a doctor and working through why you have the relationship with food that you do.
Tips for Making Controlled Changes for Permanent Weight Loss
Astonishingly, “How Do I Lose Weight” is entered into Google 110,000 times every month!
The results that show up are usually absurd ‘tips’ or even worse, advertisements camouflaged as ‘helpful’ articles designed to take your $$. These monthly searches really reflect the state of affairs in weight loss, as thousands of people just cannot seem to find the magic pill.
And do you know why? Because it doesn’t exist!
This no-nonsense article will provide you with 5 simple and effective tips you can easily ingrate into your life to help you break old habits, get inspired and to start losing weight and keep it off for good.
1. Refuse to Give Up On Yourself – The first and most important step of weight loss is telling yourself that you can do this! Once you have made that decision to be 100% committed, you will find that you are stronger than any excuse. The brain is the hardest muscle to train but if you get up every morning telling yourself “you can do this”, you will guarantee success and rev up your results in a way that no trainer or nutritionist can.
2. Do What You Love – The key reason most people don’t exercise is that they despise it. The key to weight loss is to find something you enjoy doing that elevates your heart rate for at least 30 minutes. You don’t have to buy expensive exercise gear from late night TV or start running half marathons. Consider the activities you enjoy, or something you’ve always wanted to try, and get out there and do it!
Some suggestions are a boxing class, kayaking, mountain biking, dance class, anything! If you hate your workout, you will always make an excuse to skip it. Find an exercise you enjoy and you’ll never have to work out another day in your life!
3. Be Real – You may have had to endure comments about your weight before from jerks you don’t know; maybe even jerks you do know. However, I promise you, nobody is going to be harder on you than you are on yourself. Losing weight is not a short-term gig. You want to change those old habits, learn to love yourself again and accept that this is going to be a gradual and continuous process. It’s ok to have off days, off weeks, off months. Keep motivating yourself and accept that quality of life matters and you will easily succeed in your weight loss goals.
4. Don’t Eat Less, Eat Right – I can see you rolling your eyes at me. Seems painful right? Well it doesn’t have to be painful at all. Similar to finding exercises that you enjoy, the trick here is to reward yourself with foods that you love eating. The best way to get started is to replace any calorie dense foods with nutrient dense foods instead.
I’ll give you one example. A standard serving of pasta contains around 200 calories, but a standard serving of spaghetti only contains 31 calories. You can eat egg whites instead of eggs, vegetable fries instead of potato fries.
Starting to consider what you are eating and finding less calorie dense alternatives will make a huge difference!
5. Stay Focused and Regret Nothing – So you’ve read the article, found your inner fire, and decided to take the first step.
However, the last piece of advice for you is very important. You have to be consistent. Not every day is going to be a great day, and of course, you will encounter the occasional hiccup when it comes to your nutrition and exercise plan. Everybody does.
However, what’s important is that you recognize this and accept it. If you stay committed to your goal, you WILL lose weight.
If you follow these 5 tips, you will go a long way towards making profound and lasting changes towards your goal of permanent weight loss. You don’t need doom yourself to subpar results! As you can see, it is possible to drop weight without being a slave to the scale and starving yourself. Follow these tips and your chance of success will skyrocket!
Going Beyond Discipline in Weight Loss
When it comes to achieving lasting weight loss, discipline is without a doubt a key requisite of success.
However, should it come at the cost of everything else?
Should you force discipline upon every aspect of your life?
Should discipline trump pleasure, and spontaneity?
Definitely not, as if you’ve been rigidly following a plan for diet and weight loss, you will come to resent it very fast if it leaves no room for mistakes, or random events. So, instead of focusing strictly on having discipline for your weight loss goals, try these attainable, yet realistic tips to further your progress:
Have Fun - If your workout requires you to wake up at 4 am every single day and have a run on the treadmill for an hour, sooner rather than later you will begin to resent training. Instead, keep activities fun. If you enjoy spinning classes, go for it.
We are not saying that a few sessions of your early morning workouts would be bad, but do not make it so rigid and inflexible that your psyche suffers as a result.
Eat What You Like, But Control It
Whoa there, before you get any ideas, let’s clarify, I do not mean eat fries for lunch and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner. Instead, I’m referring to making sensible choices that are in line with your taste preferences. Don’t like carrots, but love broccoli? Then have your fill of broccoli! Hate turkey, but like salmon? More power to you, those omega-3’s will come in handy too!
There is a vast amount of healthy food choices, more than enough for anyone to find their favorites.
Don’t follow a regimented diet of sawdust and nails; you are much more likely to flop completely if it feels as if you’re being force-fed all the time and you are miserable because of what you are eating. This is one of the main reasons that fad diets don’t work. In addition, moderation is one activity that greatly boosts the probability of success in losing weight and keeping it off. Moderation means that you can still indulge, but only on occasion, and in very small portions. Think two bites of pie versus two slices.
Drink and Be Merry! - Now this is important when it comes to the occasional drink- moderation. Typically, alcoholic drinks are completely devoid of nutrients, and loaded with empty sugary calories. However, making wiser choices could help you along your way.
Instead of opting for that beer, how about a glass of red wine? Red wine is loaded with useful anti-oxidants, and research has shown that the resveratrol in red wine is very beneficial to health. What’s the worst that can happen? You’ll look classier than 99% of other people in the room!
Develop a Sleep Routine - Sleep suffers at the expense of a social life, 9 times out of 10. However, with smart planning, you can have the best of both worlds.
Typically, most people don’t work Saturdays, so, instead of hitting the club or wherever on Sunday night, you can dedicate Friday to that.
That way, you can sleep in later on Saturday, still offering your body the rest it needs. Set a weekday sleep timer for 10PM the latest, as chances are you will have to wake by 6 in the mornings, and sleep deficit quickly adds up.
Drink More Tea - Not many people realize, but replacing 2 or 3 beverages a day with good old green tea can lead to marked decreases in body fat over time, as well as offer high levels of hydration.
Water alone gets tiring after a while, so instead of having to reluctantly down it by the gallon, mix it up with some refreshing tea.
Conclusion - When it comes to effective weight loss techniques, discipline is important. However, it must not come at the expense of giving up everything you enjoy, as your efforts will leave you resenting the goal.
Make smart choices, substituting things you enjoy, and before you know it, your pants will be falling down, and your clothes will become saggy!